It’s OK to be a Scout and be gay!

6 June 2011

I am pleased that the Scout Association has launched an initative to make it clear that being gay is no bar to being involved in Scouting, as a Young Person or as a Leader. This was never the case – despite popular perception and resistance from religious groups. This is made clear by the Association’s Equal Opportunities Policy.

The Association has produced advice for Scouts on sexuality and “coming out” and factsheets for Leaders and other adult Members. The UK Chief Commissioner, Wayne Bulpitt, has also made a video for Stonewall’s anti-bullying campaign “It gets better… today”, which he makes it clear:

In Scouting we believe that all young people, irrespective of their sexuality, gender, race, creed or background, have an equal opportunity to develop and to be themselves.

I am very pleased that the Scout Assocation is undertaking this exercise and focusing on spreading the positive message about the movement, including attending Pride marches – we are here and open to everyone, regardles of sexuality.

Unfortunately, there are also people who object to it on outdated moralistice views and otherwise spreading misinformation (such as that only Christians or religious people can join – rather than the truth that the rule is purely that only those with an avowed disbelief are prevented, and even that is only from a uniformed role).

We should spread the message that Scouting is open to all so that we can have more Leaders getting involved and thus allow more young people to experience Scouting.

7 Comments »

• Thongkhan said:

I’ve had to watch the last few games on a slight delay, and therrfoee haven’t been able to participate in the live blogs, but rest assured that I saw and enjoyed every minute of both wins (especially last night’s). Today, I just want to take stock and bask in the Lakers’ accomplishment(s): while I think it’s only right that the team isn’t merely satisfied by getting back to the Finals, I think as fans there’s really nothing more we can ask for we’re there, we’ll have a shot at another title, now anything can happen. We should all be proud of these guys.After almost 20 years of rooting for the Lakers (yikes), I’d probably still maintain that last year’s squad was the most satisfying I’ve ever followed simply because of how our success was completely unexpected following an offseason of ugly chaos and uglier Kobe trade drama. However for this 2009 team, carrying all season long the heavy burden of our raised expectations, for them to make a return to the Championship Series might really be the more impressive feat.This is why I shelled out almost two hundred bucks for the NBA League Pass so I could watch every single game LA has played. This is why I stay up until 3 am, EST, on work nights to watch the last seconds tick off the game clock. This is why I let me girlfriend think I’m crazy for getting so emotionally invested in a basketball team that I’m yelling at the TV and scaring our cat. This moment. Right here. Back in the Finals, where anything can happen.And it’s glorious.

• http://www.blrimages.net/ said:

Mye fint du viser!Treklosser er et must for små bebiser!!:)Kjolen du har sydd til Celine er så søt!Og matchende smekke:)Og også oppussingen av inngangspartiet ble fint!Likte også øyenstikkeren,og den var fin i sølv!Imponerende så flink og kreativ du er!Alltid nye vellykkede prosjekter!

• http://www.modestochirooffices.com/ said:

Bahhh Paula, sofria com o mesmo problema de não achar um dermatologista na nossa querida city! Que notícia boaaa! Amanhã mesmo vou ligar e marcar minha consulta! Valeu pela SUPER dica!!!

• http://www.pollexprint.us/ said:

Usually I do not read article on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to take a look at and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, quite nice article.

• car insurance said:

vreau si eu o tema curata de windows 7 care sa consume resurse putine.cum o pot gasi?P.S.mi-au placut tare mult subiectele abordate in site si sper sa aflu mult mai multe lucruri despre calulatoare.

• http://www.alexanderzuleta.com/ said:

Stacy reminds me of that scene in “The Vikings” with Tony Curtis, Kirk Douglas and Earnest Borgnine where Borgnine’s character, a Viking king, jumps into a wolf pit with only a sword.I do admire that.I’m sorry I’m too busy advocating debt forgiveness and alternative private monies to give AGW more attention and be one of the “wolves”. My loss. Oh, well.

• Ronaldguide said:

Санитарная книжка без прохождения врачеи в растове на дону – Оформить медицинскую книжку в ростове на дону, Оформить больничный лист в Ростове на Дону официально.

Leave your response!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: